Friday, April 2, 2021

4,000 and counting

This is my 4,000 post and I am thankful for all of you who read my thoughts and ideas. In one of my first posts back in 2010, I said when talking about having a new grandson who was born in Australia:

I know that many of my generations have teenage grandkids but this is new territory for me and my wife. I am not sure if being a grandfather makes me a senior but I do I still qualify as a boomer. I am not yet ready to call myself a senior although I suspect that younger people would think I qualify.

I started writing this blog when my grandson was born with the idea that one day when he was old enough he would read some of what I have written to get an idea of what is grandfather was like, what I considered important and how I view life. He is now 11 and in a few years will be able to think about reading my thoughts. 

The idea to do this came from my mother, who kept a diary of her early life with my father. Both my mom and dad died before I was 35 and while my mom got to meet her grandchildren, my father never did. However, when my mom died she left her diaries and pictures in my care. It took a few years, but I eventually read them and was astounded about how little I knew of her early life. My parents never talked about the hardships they faced when they first were married and I was too young to remember. Having the diary gave me a chance to see another side of my mom and increased my love and respect for her by a thousand times.

Today we don't have to write our thoughts in diaries we can use blogs. I have friends who use diaries and I respect them, but I chose another route to reach out to my family and friends. I hope to continue to write as long as I keep having ideas and thoughts that I think will help my grandson understand me and how my thinking helped shape his mother's attitudes and view of life. Thank you all for your support offer the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment